Then and Now: Burrowes Building

Learn about the history of the Burrowes Building since its opening in 1940.

black and white photo of the Education Building by Penn State Archives


The Education Building, home to the then–School of Education, opened in 1940 and was later renamed in honor of former university president Thomas Henry Burrowes.


current photo of Burrowes Building at University Park by Nick Sloff '92 A&A


After the College of Education moved to Chambers Building, Burrowes Building was used by the College of the Liberal Arts and currently is home to the Department of English and the School of Languages and Literature. It was expanded with the addition of two wings in 1968 and rededicated in 2016 following renovations in 2014.