Images from an Arboretum in Bloom

April 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm 7 comments

Our colleague John Mark Rafacz ’82 over in the Center for the Performing Arts has been spending some time with his camera at the Arboretum lately, and he’s been posting some beautiful images to his Facebook page. I asked him if he’d be willing to send me a few that I might share with you, and he was happy to oblige.

The one above is of a redbud tree beginning to blossom, and below is a close-up of some sort of tulip:

You can click on any of these to see them bigger—which I highly recommend.

Below are two of John’s photos put together. On the left, he tells me, is a flowering quince, and on the right is a lilac just beginning to bloom.

Besides loving John’s artistry with his Nikon, I’m also impressed at how much beauty there is to photograph at the Arboretum—a site that was just dedicated less than two years ago. “Except in the depths of winter, when things are mostly dormant,” John says, “I think you could visit the botanic gardens and see something new each day. It has an incredible variety of flowers, grasses, shrubs, and trees. And with the ever-changing light, weather, and blooming and maturity cycles, the setting can seem completely different from one visit to the next.”

Maybe my favorite of John’s latest photos is the one he made last Saturday, a misty day, when he framed a row of tulips against the large oak tree that stands behind the Arboretum pavilion.

John, by the way, also took some lovely springtime photos elsewhere around University Park two years ago, and we posted them as a small slide show; you can see those images here.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

Who Was “Otto,” Anyway? Three Questions for the Board of Trustees Candidates

• 1. Steve Houtz  |  April 3, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Both of you are artists with your cameras!

• 2. John Mark Rafacz  |  April 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks, Steve! I couldn’t agree with you more about Tina. She’s a gifted photographer!

• 3. Anonymous  |  April 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

Absolutely gorgeous, John. Have you ever thought of selling your prints?

• 4. John Mark Rafacz  |  April 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks so much, ‘anonymous.’ I’m reminded often by friends and loved ones that I ought to sell photographs. I have sold some, but not many.

• 5. Jenni Hart  |  April 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love that the first picture is of the Redbud – one of the prettiest spring time trees. Or maybe I just love it because I can always identify that one correctly! My grandfather and father are nurserymen and I’ve spent my life visiting amusement parks and zoos only to learn about all the trees on the property. Thank you John and Tina for a beautiful piece!! (Especially those tulips – stunning!!)

• 6. Sharon Sanders  |  April 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Stunning images, especially the redbud and the tulips. Thanks, Tina, for showcasing John’s beautiful work.

• 7. Walter  |  April 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

First rate work: an amazing eye for texture, contrast, tone and composition. I’m amazed by his work!!!