Tap Dancing for His Tuition

March 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm 6 comments

The “City Room” section of the New York Times specializes in stories that find the individual humanity amid the often faceless, fast-moving masses of New York City. Today’s story comes with a compelling Penn State angle.

Joshua Johnson is a Penn State undergrad — the story doesn’t say, but we think he might attend the Altoona campus — who, like many students, is working to pay his way through school. It’s his job that’s unusual: Johnson, a Harlem native, tap dances for tips on New York City subways. The story details Johnson’s challenging family background and includes a short video, with highlights of his subway routine. It’s absolutely worth checking out.

Ryan Jones, senior editor

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: , .

Penn State Wrestling’s Recipe for Success: Smile A Small-World Story

• 1. Beth Gregal.  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm

We are Penn StaterS! How can we donate!
    MY DAD was the Nittany Lion and wants to help too!
    Beth

• 2. Heather D.  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I am looking for the same info, how can people contribute to his funds? He is using his creativity to make money and better his life!

• 3. Anonymous  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm

How can I get in touch with Mr. Joshua Johnson. I just saw the report on World News with Diane Sawyer. I am from Canada. I was very moved by the story. I would like to help him pay for his tuitions. Please connect us. I am very sincere. Please have him email me at madruby@live.com. Thank you.

Mady

• 4. Lisqa  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

What an inspiration. I would like to help Joshua Johnson. Please tell me how to get in touch with him. Have him email me at: templecare45@gmail.com.

Be blessed young man!

Lisa

• 5. Anonymous  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Just saw the story on World News also. Please send the network some kind of info so people can contribute to this family. I had a hard time paying for college, but I did it and never regretted the effort for a minute. Plenty of people helped me. I want to help this young man if I can.

• 6. rayramon  |  March 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Hi everyone, he has a page at http://www.tapping2college.com – Ramon (his friend)