Our Latest Issue: A Tribute to Joe Paterno

February 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm 59 comments

Usually, when it’s time to let readers know that the next issue of The Penn Stater is on its way to mailboxes, we try to walk a fine line — to give you a taste of the magazine’s content without giving too much away.

But in the case of our March/April issue, the face on the cover won’t surprise you one bit.

On Jan. 22, when Joe Paterno passed away, we knew immediately what direction this issue had to take. Putting together the magazine was about honoring a man who touched the lives of every Penn Stater. For one story, alumni and students recall the day they met the man himself. In one of three essays, Jay Paterno ’91 reflects on his father’s legacy. And throughout the issue, you’ll find plenty of photos — some of which you’ve probably never seen before.

Your magazine should arrive within the next few days. Let us know when you receive your copy and, as always, let us know what you think.

Mary Murphy, associate editor

Entry filed under: The Penn Stater Magazine. Tags: , , .

Signs of Change on State Patty’s Day Penn State Wrestling’s Recipe for Success: Smile

• 1. Amy J  |  February 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thank you all! That’s wonderful. Can’t wait to see it.

• 2. Jonathan  |  February 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm

What a great cover. Just perfect.

• 3. Anonymous  |  February 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm

is there a way to buy this issue? thanks.

• 4. Ryan Jones  |  February 29, 2012 at 5:37 pm

We’ll have specific information on that in the next couple of days, but yes, there will be a way for non-members to purchase a copy, and for members to purchase copies beyond the one they already receive.

• 5. Bob Krajnak  |  February 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm

What a great picture of Coach Paterno!!!!

• 6. Ken Roth  |  February 29, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Can’t wait for it to arrive, it will be a keepsake I will treasure!

• 7. psumba  |  February 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

@Anonymous – Do yourself a favor … become a Lifetime Member (Alumni or Associate) of the PSU Alumni Association and get all of the quality issues for life!
    This was one of my first “purchases” after graduation when I started earning money (along with a car, TV, and contact lenses). The INVESTMENT has paid off handsomely over the years!

• 8. Elaine Slusarz May  |  February 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Love to see a smiling face of JoePA…a definite keeper, this cover.

• 9. DMI  |  February 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

To go from the dark cloud cover (loved it) to a fab pic of Joe, you guys are terrific.

• 10. Jeanne Snyder  |  February 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Can’t wait to read the issue.

• 11. Cynthia H.  |  February 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Can’t wait! It’ll be a nice uplifting offset to the issue dealing with the Sandusky scandal.

• 12. Linda Rose Lips  |  February 29, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Oh, it looks wonderful! I can’t wait to receive it.

• 13. Lorrie Miller  |  February 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Joe’s picture is worth a thousand words…make that a million words…and probably more!

• 14. R Thomas Berner  |  March 1, 2012 at 6:50 am

Great cover pic, as others have said.

• 15. psumba  |  March 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

The cover picture is already on my office window … for the world to admire!

• 16. Tricia Scanlan  |  March 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

You should sell a poster size of the front cover! It’s great!

• 17. richard  |  March 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

Looks great and look forward to getting in the mail.

I am curious if the new president, any board of trustees member, or anyone in administration vetted the issue or any article before publication…

• 18. Tina Hay  |  March 1, 2012 at 10:09 am

Richard, thanks for the compliment. In answer to your question, I’m happy to say that no one in the administration or on the Board of Trustees interfered in any way with our plans for this issue. The same was true of the Jan-Feb issue.

• 19. richard  |  March 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

Good to know and thank you, Tina, for the prompt response.

I assume the Jan-Feb issue will earn awards in the future–quite a publication and you and your staff should be very proud.

• 20. dwhirsch  |  March 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love the cover. It brings out all that he is and was.
    Diana

• 21. Terri in Jax  |  March 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

That cover picture literally brought tears to my eyes. I can’t wait for my issue to arrive, and I will have the tissues ready!

• 22. Stephanie  |  March 1, 2012 at 11:29 am

Seeing the cover brought a little tear to my eye. Looking forward to seeing it in my mailbox too.

• 23. JP  |  March 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Is there a way to view older issues online? My AA membership lapsed (though I renewed in time to get this one), and I’d like to see the editions I missed.

• 24. Ryan Jones  |  March 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Here’s a link for anyone interested in ordering copies of our March/April issue: https://pennstatermag.com/backissues/

• 25. Ryan Jones  |  March 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

JP: We don’t have back issues archived online, but you can check out the cover images on our Facebook page to get a sense of what you’ve missed.
    If you’re looking for any specific stories or subjects, feel free to let us know.

• 26. Madeline Weisgal  |  March 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Looking forward to getting this issue in my mailbox –Thanks!!

• 27. Gary Levitt  |  March 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Invested in my Life Membership back in 1964. Not sure, but I think it was $25. Heck of a deal!

• 28. Anonymous  |  March 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Great issue. You are forgiven for the joke of issue you published in Jan/Feb. Dennis Spangler

• 29. Dennis Spangler  |  March 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Great issue. You are forgiven for the joke of a publication you did for Jan/Feb. Dennis Spangler

• 30. Sue Shotzberger  |  March 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Just received my issue and immediately sat down and read it cover to cover……..what a great tribute. I, too, would like to purchase an additional copy. Please let me know how I can do this.

Great job……!!!!!

• 31. Ruth Wodock  |  March 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Is there any way I could receive additional issues of the latest Penn Stater to share with others fans of PSU and Joe Paterno?

• 32. John E. Booth, Sr. IE '51, 2107 Kestrel mCt., Lancaster, PA 17603  |  March 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

terrific issue about Joe. How may I order two more so I can give to my kids, who are PSU grads?

• 33. Mary Murphy  |  March 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

To those interested in purchasing additional copies, here’s a link with more info: https://pennstatermag.com/backissues/

• 34. John Brown ('72 CompSci)  |  March 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Joe gave a lot of people in my extended family pride. I went to PSU because way back in 1972 and starting at one of the satellite campuses, it was the only game in town. But some 40 years later I couldn’t be more proud of the university. The March/April Penn Stater magazine’s eulogies and articles reminded me that though football was a big part of his life, his ideals were far bigger: “No one’s bigger than the program”, “Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves”, and “You’re never as good as you think you are when you win, and you’re not as bad as you think you are when you lose” are ideals we can apply to everything in our lives. Joe lived these ideals of which I often wish I had just a few. Other than me being a graduate from PSU, my dad had no connection to Joe in any way, but from Joe he got a sense of pride in being a Pennsylvanian and a PSU fan. Nice edition of a nice magazine.

• 35. John (jack) Ehmann  |  March 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Let me know when additional copies are available…..

• 36. Mark Founds  |  March 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Received it today. The front cover alone is a work of art. And the cover paper stock and outstanding print production standards of the entire edition are appropriate to honor a man of Coach Paterno’s stature. Well done.

• 37. Carol P  |  March 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

I received my copy on Saturday and was very happy that it was there. I had been anxious to get it after seeing that it was on its way. I love the cover pictures (front and back) and always look inside the back for the final picture of each issue. I thought that one was a good choice too. I haven’t had a chance to sit down and read it yet but have glanced through it and can’t wait to read it. From what I saw, it’s a great tribute to JoePa! Thank you for a job well done!

• 38. Mrs. John Blososky  |  March 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Wonderful! Great! Beautiful! It is about time something good comes out of Penn State. The Penn Stater is always a well written magazine but this one is tops. May I purchase an extra copy?

• 39. Joe Kays '84  |  March 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Crying at the Penn Stater again, but this time it’s tears of joy for your outstanding tribute to Joe. I didn’t think you could outdo your black cover issue, but you have. Thanks for bringing back the joy of Joe’s life.

• 40. A Small-World Story « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  March 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

[…] been getting a lot of calls about our new March-April issue, which is a commemorative issue about Joe Paterno. One such call I fielded today was from a reader […]

• 41. Cathy  |  March 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

It is hard to ignore the irony of the last two covers – the Jan/Feb cover that implied the death of Penn State and then the death that necessitated the topic of the very next issue. Also have you also redesigned the interior of the pub? I feel a little thrown by the look of the last two issues – not that I do not like it but it is hard to tell if these are just special issues and we will return to the old format/look.

• 42. Vicki Kusaila  |  March 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wow! Just received my issue today. It brought tears to my eyes and filled my heart with Penn State Pride. Great job! Thanks.

• 43. Anonymous  |  March 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you for saving the ads for the end. I thought it was very respectful.

• 44. Debbie  |  March 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

I have received every single issue of “The Penn Stater” since graduating in 1985. This is my very favorite issue. Ever. Gorgeous, gorgeous issue. Wonderful stories, pictures, and tributes befitting the man who meant so much to all of us. Well done.

• 45. Carol S.  |  March 8, 2012 at 11:20 am

The sadness is still so real to this alum but your magazine in my mailbox Saturday? I clutched it to my heart! Thank you for an excellent tribute.

• 46. Bernice Marks  |  March 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I now live in Mexico and want to receive my Penn Stater. Can I pay extra postage and get it here?

Bernice Marks Class of 1963

• […] written by Jay Paterno regarding his father’s legacy.  To obtain a copy of The Penn Stater, click here. Be Sociable, Share! Tags: Joe Paterno, Penn […]

• 48. John Filipovich Proud Lifetime Alum  |  March 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I laugh then I cried.. just awesome ..

• 49. Anonymous  |  March 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Is this cover a joke? He looks like a used car salesman. Is this the best photo the alumni association could find?

• 50. Brian Hassinger  |  March 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

My grandfather worked at the stadium and I really would like to get him a copy of this, how would I order one, would like a couple copies if possible but at least 1 for my grandfather. Message me at facebook using my name. Thank you. RIP JOE!

• 51. Lorrie Miller  |  March 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

To anonymous….you should remain anonymous…what a slam to a great man…you should be ashamed of yourself…beauty is in the eye of the beholder..take the log outof your eye…and oh…by the way.. my Uncle was a very successful used car salesman…

• 52. J Howard Holmes  |  March 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I am surprised that the board allowed the publication of a man who was such a failure as a leader.

Loved the pictures & the articles. I will miss the games and seeing Joe on the sidelines.

• 53. Patti Santoni  |  March 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

My membership lapsed – I just renewed it. Will I receive the March/April Penn Stater with JoePa? Hope so!! Please let me know. Thanks. Patti

• 54. Mary Murphy  |  March 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

Brian — Additional copies are available here: http://www.psualumnistore.com/4100c-mag.html I hope your grandfather enjoys the issue!

• 55. Mary Murphy  |  March 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

Bernice — You can update your mailing address by emailing alumni-address@psu.edu. Extra copies are available here: http://www.psualumnistore.com/4100c-mag.html Let us know if you have any questions.

• 56. Mary Murphy  |  March 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

Additional copies are available through the Alumni Store. Here’s the link: http://www.psualumnistore.com/4100c-mag.html

• […] of two special, emotional issues — the Jan./Feb. coverage of the Sandusky scandal and the March/April tribute to Joe Paterno — our staff will tell you that the latest Penn Stater is a welcome […]

• 58. レビトラ  |  July 19, 2012 at 12:02 am

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

• 59. mancunianmatters.co.uk  |  August 12, 2015 at 5:09 am