This Time, Sadly, It’s True: Joe Paterno Has Died

January 22, 2012 at 11:23 am 12 comments

The Penn State Football site on Twitter  has tweeted the news so many of us were hoping not to hear:

“With great sadness we mourn the passing of Coach Joe Paterno…Few have done more.”

The Associated Press is reporting the news as well and includes a statement from the family.

Sad news. Incomprehensible, even. There will never be another one like Joe.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

For All Who Love Joe Paterno, an Anxious Night The Paterno Family’s Statement

• 1. Anonymous  |  January 22, 2012 at 11:42 am

Very sad.

• 2. Stephanie  |  January 22, 2012 at 11:47 am

That picture at the top is absolutely perfect. So blessed to have gone to his school.

• 3. Karen  |  January 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

I am so proud that all three of my daughters attend or have attended this school and experienced the morals and values of such a fine man as Joe Paterno.

• 4. Scott Cleveland  |  January 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm

God speed coach, rest in peace.

• 5. Lauren  |  January 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm

well said, Tina.

• 6. Anonymous  |  January 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Not withstanding its woefully inept administration and Trustees, Coach Paterno’s legacy — both emotionally and physically — will be among the proudest recollections of my time at Penn State.

• 7. Jason McGarvey  |  January 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

If the last issue was a reflection on our darkest days as PSU alumni, I hope the next issue can be a reflection on the positive impact Paterno had beyond football and the university. Keep up the great work.

• 8. Anonymous  |  January 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

to quote a statement from JoPa that I have on an afgan..
    “They ask what I’d like written about me when I’m gone..I hope they write.. I made Penn State a better place not that I was just a good football coach. Rest in peace Joe and our thoughts and prayers are with the family

• 9. Shawn  |  January 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

Love you Joe!

• 10. A Tailgating Tradition « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  February 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

[…] Stater—and that was before our Jan./Feb. issue hit mailboxes earlier this month and before Joe Paterno passed away nearly three weeks ago. Needless to say, readers have had a lot to say about the […]

• 11. A Tailgating Tradition « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  February 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

[…] here at The Penn Stater—and that was before our Jan./Feb. issue hit mailboxes and before Joe Paterno passed away nearly three weeks ago. Needless to say, readers have had a lot to say about the […]

• […] Jan. 22, when Joe Paterno passed away, we knew immediately what direction this issue had to take. Putting […]