Joe Paterno Announces Retirement

November 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm 5 comments

The news here at Penn State continues to come in a torrent, and it’s hard to keep up, but the latest is that Joe Paterno this morning announced his retirement, effective at the end of the current season. A number of media have posted his comments, which can also be found at prnewswire.com:

“I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

“I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

“That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

“This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

“My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.”

Entry filed under: Penn State in the News. Tags: .

A Note on the Sandusky Situation Another Unbelievable Day

• 1. richard  |  November 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

good luck to you, Joe, and your family

• 2. Anonymous  |  November 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm

We love you, Joe.

• 3. Amy J  |  November 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

So sad. A terrible time for the entire University. Those poor kids. This has not been handled well. All at Penn State need to say what they knew and when they knew it. And if they messed up – admit it now. Get this over with.
    That said, I really hope the Board of Trustees allows Coach Paterno to retire after the bowl game and doesn’t force him out early. He’s earned that right. And I believe that he had no idea of the extent of Sandusky’s alleged crimes. Class of ’82, Journalism

• 4. Another Unbelievable Day « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  November 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

[…] it remains strange to type—is that in addition to the pending departure of Joe Paterno, who has announced his retirement effective at season’s end, multiple outlets are reporting University president Graham Spanier […]

• 5. Michael '90  |  November 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’m so sad about all of this. The past three days have seemed like an eternity. Good luck to you, Coach. And thanks for your continued commitment to the university.