A Snowy Penn State Wedding

January 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm 15 comments

I happened to be driving through campus yesterday and noticed a wedding party getting photos taken at the Nittany Lion Shrine—in the snow. It was a great scene, and I did happen to have my camera with me, but by the time I pulled my car over and got out, I was too late: The photo shoot was over, and everyone was piling back into “Molly Trolley,” which they had apparently rented for the day.

Oh well, I figured, and I drove on.

But then it occurred to me that they might be going somewhere else for more photos, so I turned the car around and followed the trolley. As they headed down Burrowes Road past the IST Building, I had a suspicion they would turn into the lot for the Alumni Center, which has become a popular place for wedding photos.

I was right.

I tagged along as the wedding photographer set up some shoots at the gazebo and the bridge (Ridge Riley’s Bridge, it’s officially called) outside our offices. The bride and groom turn out to be Kaitlin Infield ’07 and Nicholas Bevins ’07, who were getting married on New Year’s Eve in Eisenhower Chapel. The photo shoot took place about an hour before the wedding, and the snowfall we had gotten in the morning made a perfect backdrop.

Here’s a collage of three shots I took; click on them to see them bigger:

I should mention that the photographer (Amanda Kraft of Lancaster) was a good sport in tolerating my presence at her photo shoot. I learned long ago from my brother Chris, who is a professional photographer, that if an amateur photographer—or any friend or family member with a camera—shows up at a wedding shoot, it can be an unwelcome distraction. The professional photographer ends up with images where half of the wedding party is looking at the camera and the other half is looking off at something else (like me, in this case).

So, in retrospect, I don’t actually recommend doing what I did yesterday. But I thought you’d enjoy seeing the result.

P.S. You can subscribe to our blog by clicking on the link in the upper right hand part of the page. You can choose to get the blog via RSS feed or by e-mail. I personally recommend the latter because it’s very simple—you’ll get an e-mail each morning with the day’s previous blog entry(ies).

Entry filed under: Alumni Association, University Park. Tags: , , , , , .

Tom Golarz Battling a Lot More Than LSU Jay Paterno’s Photo of the Turf

• 1. R Thomas Berner  |  January 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Good work, Tina. You must always have your camera with you or what’s a camera for? I keep a point and shoot in compartment in my car and I never without my iPhone.

I disagree with your advice about not doing what you did. I’ve encountered several weddings during my two stays in China and was welcomed and allowed to take photos. It makes it a special moment for the bridge and groom.

“Do you remember that woman from the Penn Stater who showed up …?”

“Remember that American who took pictures of us?”

Keep that camera handy!

• 2. Marie Young  |  January 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm

True Penn Staters! Braving the cold made for some unforgettable pictures. I hope they send in some of the ones at the shrine. I’d love to see them.

• 3. Tina Hay  |  January 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Tom — You are right, I need to keep my camera with me more. I just got a used Nikon D90 body and had been taking shots of the First Night ice sculptures, or else I might not have had the camera on me. I do have a point-and-shoot — I oughta just stuff that in the glove compartment as you suggest. (But won’t the temperature extremes bother it?) –Tina

• 4. Tina Hay  |  January 1, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Marie — Good idea! I’ll have to e-mail the newlyweds and ask them to share a shot from the Lion Shrine when they get a chance. –Tina

• 5. Carmine Prestia  |  January 3, 2010 at 12:19 am

Nice job Tina. I and a relative of the groom performed that wedding! It was the best New Year’s Eve party Elaine and I have been to in a long time. I didn’t realize they had taken any outdoor pictures.

We also talked to the photographer and agree she was quite nice. Unlike some other professionals I hardly noticed that she was present during the ceremony.

• 6. Flossie Love Chapman  |  January 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm

One of those handsome young men, Kevin Love-Hubbard, is my nephew. I am delighted that you had your camera. I loved seeing him in his tux in the snow. I understand the cheering party the next day held in the Nittany Lion lounge was responsible for PSU’s win!

• 7. Tina Hay  |  January 4, 2010 at 10:11 am

Carmine — Glad you liked the photos! I bet you don’t get asked to perform many weddings on Thursdays, huh?

• 8. Tina Hay  |  January 4, 2010 at 10:12 am

Flossie — I remember someone in the wedding party saying that all of the bridesmaids and groomsmen were Penn Staters except one, who was a Michigander. I’m glad to know the name of one of them!

• 9. Chris Nichols  |  January 5, 2010 at 12:59 am

Okay, I’m biased..but to see these pictures of my son and about-to-be wife…delightful. And Berner, isn’t it grand it all turned out okay?

• 10. Sandy Rogus  |  January 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Tina for sharing– love the photos and article.

• […] and Nick’s photos also made the Penn Stater Blog.  Check out the cool story of how having your camera and being at the right place at the right […]

• […] 1. “A Snowy Penn State Wedding” […]

• 14. A Wedding in the Gazebo « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  June 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

[…] One of our most popular blog stories ever is this one, about a snowy New Year’s Eve wedding a few years ago in the same […]

• 15. A Very Penn State Wedding « The Penn Stater Magazine  |  October 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

[…] written about Penn State weddings before—here, here, and here, for example—but this past weekend was the first time I was actually involved in […]